Thursday, June 09, 2005

God's Soldier, and America's too

A week or so ago, I came across a blog of near-daily emails from a medic in Iraq. This doctor is a man of God with compassion and beautiful words of God's goodness, mercy, and grace in the midst of the deep sorrows and pain of war. Wherever we stand regarding the war, we must undeniably stand as brothers and sisters in Christ, amazed by the work God is doing through His people on the frontlines.

Looking closer, I'm in awe of His faithfulness to this individual man, His faithfulness to every person who belongs to Him. Our lives may be tumultuous in many different ways, and God may allow them to stay that way. But His goodness is overwhelming in that the whole time, He is right here with us. Love is proven strong and true by enduring with the beloved, far more so than by offering a quick fix. As God's children, we are His beloveds. Duke, and all of God's army, you are His beloveds and He is enduring with you. I pray you may be strong and persevere and show mighty compassion in the name of our Everlasting Father. God bless you and keep you. Amen

Excerpts from the emails of 'Duke':

May 11, 2005

"Next we load the walking patients. As the bus pulls up, all the people involved in loading the litter patient form a tunnel. Much like what cheerleaders may do at a sporting event. However, this is much more somber. The people forming the tunnel applaud as the walking wounded board the bus with well wishes of: “Have a safe trip.” “Thanks for all you did.” “They’ll take good care of you in Germany.” “God Bless you.”

The team of medics have been working non-stop since receiving these patients earlier in the evening to get the patients out tonight. The plane now closes its cargo doors. It’s 0430. This will undoubtedly repeat tomorrow until there is peace and freedom in Iraq."


May 14, 2005

"Many may ask what are we doing taking care of the enemy. My response would come from a parable that Jesus taught us. In Luke 10: 25-37, Jesus tells of a story when a Jew had been robed and beaten. A Priest and a Levite pass him and do nothing to help. Then a man from Samaria, hated by the Jews, stops and cares for him and then makes arrangements for his continuing care. Jesus exalts this man as one who truly showed love for his neighbor.

So what about us medics in the armed forces taking care of these guys who are trying to kill us. We give them our blood and the best medical care that can be found in Iraq. What would they probably do if we were injured? Well if history is our guide they may drag us through the streets. I think that type of behavior would qualify them as the very least of our brethren. In Matthew 25: 40 Jesus states, “……’I tell you the truth, whatever you did for the least of these brothers of mine, you did it for me.”

The time in Iraq is a crucible for my faith and I need God’s gift of compassion and grace and mercy more than ever."


May 21, 2005

"I do not pretend to understand the permissive will of God. I do not believe that I should. I thought of this while I was reading Exodus. (Being in the Middle East brings Exodus to life.) In Exodus 21: 12-13 it states “Anyone who strikes a man and kills him shall surely be put to death. However, if he does not do it intentionally, but God lets it happen, he is to flee to a place I will designate. Another verse in Exodus 4:11 “The Lord said to him, ‘Who gave man his mouth? Who makes him deaf or mute? Who gives him sight or makes him blind? Is it not I, the Lord” Both of these verses show the control God has over both death and illness/disability.

Of course, volumes could be written on this subject, but briefly how do I reconcile the concept of an all loving, all powerful, and all knowing God allowing death and suffering. The answer: I absolutely believe that God is good. If at any point there is a situation where this does not appear to be true, I accept that I probably do not have all the information, especially the future results of the permissive will of God. This question was indirectly raised by the disciples in John 9:2-3 “His disciples asked Him, Rabbi who sinned, this man or his parents, that he was born blind?” “Neither this man nor his parents sinned,” said Jesus, “but this happened so that the work of God might be displayed in his life.”

I believe God is working in all of us to either bring us into right relationship with Him or refine the impurities out of us.

Job said it best after he lost almost everything including his children. Job 1:21 “…Naked I came from my mother’s womb, and naked I will depart. The Lord gave and the Lord has taken away; may the name of the Lord be praised.” "


May 22, 2005

"Honestly, I have a long way to go in the forgiveness department. When I see our wounded soldiers and the innocent men women and children of Iraq killed or wounded, I want vengeance. Once again the Bible is there to guide me. Romans 12:19-20 Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God’s wrath, for it is written: “It is mine to avenge; I will repay”. On the contrary: “If your enemy is hungry, feed him; if he is thirsty give him something to drink. In doing this, you will heap burning coals on his head.” I hope we as medics are doing this as we treat those who have attacked our soldiers."


June 2, 2005

"This is a very unnatural busy we are engaged in. I can see why people who have been in combat are never quite the same after they come home and why people who have not been there can never really understand. There are many different reactions to the alarm reds. Some cry and others find them annoying. Some never take off their body armor, some will not put it on unless ordered to do so. I do not worry much about the mortar attacks and I think that is because I feel God’s will will be done whether I am in Iraq or Texas. In Jeremiah 10:23, it says, “I know, O Lord, that a man’s life is not his own; it is not for a man to direct his steps.” I truly believe that God can lead me to a mortar if that be His will or He can lead me away. He will direct my steps.

Job shows a trust I desire to have, “Though He slay me, yet will I hope in Him.” Job 13:15.

Soli Deo Gloria"

To read all of 'Duke's' letters:
http://brokenmasterpieces.com

2 Comments:

At 6/10/2005 7:18 AM, Blogger David said...

Amazing, simply amazing.

What a tremendous witness, the care he gives to the enemy fighters.

Thanks for posting, and welcome to the world of blogging.

 
At 6/10/2005 9:19 PM, Blogger Matthew said...

Thank you for sharing this. 'Tis indeed a mighty testimony.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home