Sunday, June 12, 2005

Seven: the number of grey areas in my faith (so far)

I've been humbled and left slightly overwhelmed recently. I think I'm living in a grey area, or at least believing and thinking in one, which I suppose would lead to living there.

Deep breath.

A few hours have passed since I began writing this post. I stopped to thoroughly consider what questions I have, what concepts need clarification. Earlier, I over-reacted a bit. First, the debates and articles I've been perusing are written - many of them - by theological scholars and people who've been committed to knowing the Lord a bit longer than I have. Second, it's good to know that I don't know very much (and I'm sure those who know far more than I do would say they don't know very much, either, in the scope of God's infinite knowing). It's also good to recognize the grey areas and seek answers. So that's what I've spent these interim hours pondering.

Here are some questions/ideas/what-have-you-related-to-Christianity that I will be studying and searching out. Asking the Holy Spirit to show me the truth about, and wrestling with those truths 'til He inevitably wins out and pins me. :) Graciously, His victory is mine, as well. Isn't that reason to dance (or sing or laugh or be still...)!


  • I've concluded from various readings that I'm a "Calvinist," and would like to dig further into the meat of what that means (I've sort of given the doctrines a once or twice-over), to KNOW and understand DEEPLY the Calvinist world-view and where/how my lifeway should stem from that view. Part of this is the five point TULIP (or RSLEP, as Sproul would prefer). I want to learn the verses that support these doctrines, and the ones that seem to contradict it, and understand why they actually don't contradict. I have an inkling I could probably get this from reading Sproul's Chosen by God several more times (which I probably will), but I'd like to have other sources.

  • How does the free will of man co-exist with the Providence of God? Free will is our ability to choose that which we most desire (hence, an unbeliever CANNOT choose God because he/she can not desire Him). If God determines our (brethren's) desires (by putting them in our hearts), isn't he then determining our choices? How could our free choices work together to fulfill God's sovereign plan if He didn't determine those choices? If He is determining our choices, do we have free will at all? Why is it so important that we have free will?

  • What are the common, supposed contradictions in the Bible and how are they NOT contradictions (I know the Bible is true, therefore I know it doesn't contradict itself)?

  • Regarding denominations: What are they and is there one whose doctrines I agree with 100%? Is it neccesary to/should we label ourselves? How do we work toward/maintain unity within the Body in light of all the denominational separations?

  • Regarding Christian Community: How do we break down the walls and LOVE each other? What makes authentic, effective community? How does a church move toward, attain, maintain such community? How is the Church doing at present? What are the effective communities doing differently from the ineffective ones that makes them so(small groups, discipleship, service ministries...)? Does the size of the church effect its quality of authentic community(small churches, larger churches, super churches...)?

  • What are the specifics of Intelligent Design (Anthropic Principle)?

  • What are "presuppositional" apologetics? Does it then follow that there are "post- suppositional" apologetics? Plain ol' "suppositional?" When the question mark isn't part of the quotation does it still go inside the quotation at the end of the sentence? :)

Dear reader, feel free to (rather, PLEASE DO) comment on said grey areas of my faith. It's quite exciting to have a direction of learning. Also exciting: the tangents that lie ahead, just waiting to beg further questioning (because no direction I've started in thus far has finished the same way... except the one towards Christ)! Alright, Spirit, let's get ready to rumble! :)

The reading list (suggestions most welcome):

  • God, The Bible
  • Jonathan Edwards, On the Freedom of the Will
  • Martin Luther, Bondage of the Will
  • Mark Roberts, No Holds Barred: Wrestling with God in Prayer (I don't know if this is related to above q's, but it sounded interesting)
  • R.C. Sproul, Chosen by God (again. again. aga...)
  • Something from David Heddle about ID :)
  • ...
  • ...
  • ...
  • ...
  • ...

2 Comments:

At 6/18/2005 9:12 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Amanda,

A few book recommendations based on what I've read so far and what I've appreciated in some of the areas you would like to inquire into further.

First, in terms of Calvinism, several books come to mind. First of all, James White's book "The Potter's Freedom" is a great resource. It deals with some of the arguments raised by Norman Geisler against Calvinism in his book, "Chosen But Free". Next, "The Reformed Doctrine of Predestination" by Loraine Boettner, is a more comprehensive book that goes through the major verses that support it, and deals with several arguments commonly used against it. A little more off topic, "Bound Only Once: The Failure of Open Theism", edited by Douglas Wilson is also a good reference, though it does not deal as directly with Calvinism.

Second, in terms of Intelligent Design, the two main books I've read on this subject are "Intelligent Design: The Bridge Between Science and Theology", by William Dembski, and "Signs of Intelligence: Understanding Intelligent Design", edited by William Dembski and James Kushiner. Both of these are fairly easy to read and would provide a decent overview of the subject. Dembski's major book on the subject, "The Design Inference : Eliminating Chance through Small Probabilities", is much more mathematically involved (and much more expensive). I hope to get it and read through it some time, but I haven't had the time (or money) yet.

Third, in terms of Presuppositional apologetics, Tereo-Kensai would be better at giving you recommendations on this subject than I would (and I would take him up on his offer). However, I found Cornelius Van Til's "Defense of the Faith" to be an excellent book, and I would recommend it to anyone. I also have his "Christian Apologetics" book, but it appears that much of what is in that book is already included in his "Defense of the Faith", so it would probably be easier to read his "Defense of the Faith" first. While Geisler's "Christian Apologetics" is a good book (not on Presuppositional apologetics), I much prefer Van Til's apologetic to his. I found that Van Til's books have strengthened my faith, but Geisler's has not done so as much.

I hope that these recommendations will be of some help to you. If you would like any other recommendations on these, or any subject, you can always contact me at donatello_@hotmail.com. My prayers will be with you.

In Christ,

Donatello

 
At 6/28/2005 9:14 PM, Blogger Paul said...

Perhaps you'd enjoy this parable of the Anthropic Principle.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home