Tuesday, July 12, 2005

By this all people will know you are Mine: Love One Another

John 13:31-35

When he had gone out, Jesus said, "Now the Son of Man is glorified, and God is glorified in Him. If God is glorified in Him, God will also glorify Him in Himself, and will glorify Him at once.

"Children, I am with you a little while longer. You will look for Me, and just as I told the Jews, 'Where I am going you cannot come,' so now I tell you.

"I give you a new commandment: that you love one another. Just as I have loved you, you should also love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another."


Each morning (and sometimes afternoon), I go to work with excitement and wonder at what God will do this day. Who will He bring to buy meat? :) What insight will He give to my co-workers hearts, and how will He direct our conversation? Truly, the grocery store is proving to be a field white and ready for harvesting. I praise God for letting me be His worker.

That verse from John speaks aptly for God's blessed encounter today. A woman came for turkey mid-morning. I served her at the counter while Paula served another shopper next to me. This woman wore a beautiful cross pendant on her necklace, and when I told her I liked it she held it gently with her fingers, looking down at it, and said quietly, "I don't know what I'd do without it."

"Neither do I," I said, "The Lord is good." and her eyes teared up. "The Lord is good," I reassured her, "even when it doesn't seem like it."

"You're going to make me cry!" she laughed and wiped her eye, then sobered quickly and said simply, "Pray for my family today."

"Okay."

"Now I know why I'm buying meat," she laughed again shortly. "I didn't need any - had plenty at home..."

Her 18 year old daughter is having a baby next month. She is scared, but it's going to be okay. The Lord works everything out for His good, and that which surprises us is no surprise to Him. This daughter is His daughter, and He fashioned each day of her life when as yet there were none of them.

Her younger daughter came up next to her, and the woman smiled and hugged the girl, saying, "Look! She likes my necklace, and the Lord is good, even when it doesn't seem like it." She smiled at me and said, "Well, we'll be back again." I cannot explain the connection my heart felt to hers, except that Christ unites us. "I love you, my sister, " I said smiling. "I love you, too." This woman left with a radiance that was not there before, and that is the true unity of Christian love. Father, You are so good. I know I say that all the time, but You are. You Are.

John 13:35 sang out to me as I thought of what Paula's response to the interaction must have been. In a matter of minutes she watched two women go from strangers to sisters declaring love for each other. Imagine that from an unbeliever's perspective! Paula is quiet and non-confrontational. She didn't say anything. But she was right there the whole time. Only God knows. For now. :)

I also must thank You again, Father, for Curtis (the Christian I work with). How refreshing to have edifying conversation with my brother in the deli. :) I am challenged by him - and encouraged - and watching You use him to plant seeds in our co-workers and customers blesses me, also. Today a young man named Ivan came to visit, and I mis-heard his name as Isaac. Brenda, another deli worker, was saying how he is always smiling and Curtis agreed.

"Well, his name does mean laughter!" I said.

"Ivan?" Curtis asked.

"Oh, I thought it was Isaac. I don't know what Ivan means!" I felt a bit silly, but Curtis took the opportunity to tell the Bible story, and speak of God giving Abraham and Sarah their son Isaac in their VERY old age. It was such a neat moment.

Readers, please continue to pray for the deli. I will continue to report of God's shining light. He is so faithful, and works so powerfully - in us, through us, and despite us. To You be the glory!

1 Comments:

At 7/14/2005 4:28 PM, Blogger Callmeteem said...

Loved that story. Keep on shining!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home