Tuesday, August 09, 2005

"...he prowls the earth like a lion, seeking whom he may devour..."

I woke from a dream early this morning and as I lay awake a memory came that I had forgotten, and it frightened me all over again.

Only twice in New York was I truly afraid. The first time for someone else's life, the second my own. It seems I had buried the second; it has risen to be dealt with. So I write.

I worked at a Boutique on Fifth Avenue, a few blocks north of St. Patrick's Cathedral in the company of such as Gucci, Fendi, and countless others, all grossly posh and indulgent. The Boutique certainly wasn't as trendy - our clientele consisted more of aging corporate wives and celebrities of time ago. But it was just as gross. Our "most valued client" spent the equivalent of four years' education on her fall wardrobe. That makes me sick. But I digress....

(even now I procrastinate in telling the story God woke me up to tell. forgive me)


On my way to Midtown Manhattan each morning, I took the train. I had about an hour commute in total from the Bronx (walking to the train - or taking the bus if raining or freezing, catching the D while still running express, transferring to the E at the Fifth Ave station....

Here is where the memory begins. At the Fifth Ave/53rd St. station lived a man with a booming stage voice, strong opinions (often bizarre, as well), playful smile (most days), and not much else. I always looked forward to seeing him and hearing the latest succession of commentary (he would ride the elevator or stand at the top of the stairs proclaiming his thoughts to us commuters.). Sometimes he'd be in debate with business men over politics - the sight always made me smile. A couple of times I joined their conversation, but mostly I have little interest in the topic. He came to recognize me and would smile and nod each morning as I rode up the escalator or passed through the gate. Sometimes he'd stop his proclamation and begin a new one with a sparkle in his eye - as if he'd thought of this with me in mind and wanted to see my reaction. Those ones had to do with women. I wish I could remember to share - quite funny in their cynical scorn. Quite sad in the hurt that would cause such cynical scorn.

Anyway, on this morning he stood just outside the train as the doors opened and shared his musings as we herded off. I laughed and made eye contact for just a split second with another morning traveler laughing - in that flash of an instant I saw in the traveler's eyes something beyond friendliness. His mouth smiled, but his eyes bore into mine and devoured.

Not fully sure what to do, I hung back hoping I'd misinterpreted the interaction, and let him get off and go on in front of me. He did. He rode up the escalator ahead - but he turned around and cast upon me the same disturbing expression. Atop the staircase I slowed my steps, letting him gain in distance. How I wished the second exit was open, but no. I had to follow this man.

Once out of the station I breathed a bit easier - at least there is openness to flee if necessary. The subway leads up to 53rd street. Fifth Ave is maybe 50 feet to the right. Along the sidewalk vendors sell coffee and donuts and fruit. Welcome sights all. But across the street he stood waiting. When he saw that I saw him, he began walking toward the Avenue. I quickened behind the crowd at the donut vender, hoping he would lose me in the traffic.

I waited a long minute - he would have reached the ave and been crossing by then. But he had waited, too. We crossed Fifth Ave together, on opposite sides of 53rd, and thank God my friends Ara (one of my managers) and Ariel (one of the stock guys) were arriving to work at the same time.

"I'm being followed!" I cried, overwhelmed and relieved. The man walked on hurriedly. They only saw his back across the street. Too far to detail or place again. Ariel steadied me and walked me into the building, always the protector. There are dangerous men in the world, but there are protecting men, too.

It is frightening to be preyed upon. But the fear only comes if you KNOW someone's stalking. If you know, and you are unprotected.

Perhaps Satan's greatest advantage is that many don't believe he exists. They believe he is metaphorical, a complete fiction. They are not afraid, but how they should be. If this is you, hear me. I beg you. Because if you don't know that the devil is real, then you can't be protected from him, and he is stalking you. You are his prey, and he will devour you. Insecurity, fear (of anything but himself), depression, hopelessness, pride - in anything but the Lord Christ (his Enemy), addiction, LIES.... these are the evidences of Satan's working. Murder, hatred, strife, abuse, monotony, passionless existence; absorption in power, possession, physical sex appeal - he loves them all because they keep the focus off God, Who transcends them all.

If you are Satan's prey, you are his slave. We have two options in this life: live for the Triune God (Father, Son - Jesus Christ-, Holy Spirit) and be free! have life abundantly, getting to know the God who knows you because He created you, Who longs for you to know Him and love Him back; or live for Satan and his worldly things, Satan who hates you because you bear the image of the God he hates; Satan who wants to see you fall and perish not just on earth, but eternally.

We cannot choose both - we cannot love our things in this world, love this culture and its false promises, AND love God. They don't work together. God promises so much more! He doesn't promise an easy life or material wealth; he doesn't promise long life or even good health (Satan falsely promises these things) - but He promises Himself. God - the God and Creator of the universe, Who parted the seas for Moses and the Israelites to cross, Who sent Manna from heaven to feed His people every day for forty years in the desert, Who stopped the sun and moon in the sky for Joshua, Who sent His only Son Jesus to die your death on the cross that you might Live! - this God promises He will be with you always. He will provide what you need, He will give you the strength for each day, He will give you peace and joy that none of Satan's promises possibly can.

And when you die He will say to you, "Move to my right. You are one of my sheep," and you will live forevermore in the joyful presence of your King. To the others who choose Satan and the world: "Move to my left, you are a goat," and they will die forevermore in the hateful presence of their king. This is real. THIS IS REAL! Either rejoice or be terrified, but PLEASE do not sit idly by and let your life slip without knowing. There's too much at risk.

3 Comments:

At 8/09/2005 6:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,
Your post is a vivid and image-filled reminder of the reality of the evil one. The Scripture never indicates that he does not exist, or that he is simply an evil force. He is a personal and intelligent being. If we fail to see this, then, as you said, we are in trouble.

But thanks be to God, that He is sovereign over His created devil. Job 1-2 indicates this clearly.

 
At 8/09/2005 6:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda,
This is off subject, and I was going to e-mail this question to you, but I did not see an e-mail link. I work for a ministry called the Apologetics Resource Center www.arcapologetics.org in Birmingham, AL. We are attempting to gain more exposure for this site. Would you review it and consider a link on your blog?

Thanks so much, Jason.

 
At 8/25/2005 5:22 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

wow...well written...and quite a reminder of reality in all its invisible chaos

 

Post a Comment

<< Home