Monday, August 15, 2005

Given Grace, Living Abundantly

This morning was perfect for running: cool, cloudy, a few drops of rain falling. I passed the field with pine trees lining along the road: my grandfather's field. As a small girl, after the mowing but before bailing, I'd run through the rows and leap over the long piles of hay waiting to be gathered. Now the field is overgrown with wild flowers and weeds.

I continued alongside the woods and the old stone wall that would have separated properties before this street was even carved, let alone paved and well-traveled. I came to another field, this one a working farm with a barn and cows - the hay already mowed, bailed, and stored. This is my great-uncle's farm. Passed to him from my great-grandfather whom I used to visit with my mom. I'd never met my uncle who now devotes himself to keeping it up. I had waved a lot. Jogging by two days ago, his dog decided to come say hello across the street - by way of barking like I was a threat and he would do something about it. I stopped running and squatted to pet him, and hold him as cars passed. So much for scaring me off! :) I'm not afraid of dogs - perhaps I should be more. But I grew up next to a junk yard that kept rottweilers and german shepherds. Dogs as tall as my toddler's frame, and playful as brothers. I remember being hip-checked by one and sent flying sideways. Landing and giggling, getting up and dusting off. (hyper dogs, and puppies, however - I'm never sure what to do with) Anyway, cars gone and dog trotting back, I waved (as usual) to my uncle watching from his front yard, and then contined running.

To my surprise, this great uncle of mine showed up at church yesterday. I rejoiced, obviously! And at the same time felt deep shame that a man who was not only my neighbor, but family, is being drawn to the Lord and I didn't even know. How have I lived with such apathy toward the hearts of my neighbors - even my family? I have prayed for them, certainly, but I have not loved them enough to let them know.


Sometimes I wonder why You even love me,
And why You ever chose to call me 'child'.
Then I remember: it's by Your sacrifice
That I can say that I am Yours and You are mine.

This morning I ran along my street and felt an overwhelming burden for these people I live so close to, yet am so far from. The Lord may be drawing them, and He may want to use me - I must be willing and ready. I must be listening and responding without hesitation! To be a child of God is to have Life! To be the Lord's is to be set free and full of joy! I want that for my neighbors. Their salvation is my Father's doing - I cannot save them nor soften their hearts. But I can love them, and I can share the reason I wake up rejoicing everyday; I can serve them with great praise that the Lord has let me be His hands reaching. Should He open their eyes to see Him and break their hearts to love Him... well, what glory to our Sovereign King.

Returning home again, I saw my uncle standing by his garage, building something, and today I crossed the street and introduced myself. I didn't mention seeing him at church - he hadn't seen me there. But I looked into his eyes, grasped his outstretched hand, and truly cared about his life for the first time. We're not strangers anymore - not to each other. I pray for his Life, I pray we might not be family only by our blood, but by Christ's Blood. I pray we may stand on the same ground and sing of the same miracle, having spent most of our lives dead to sin, but now given grace, and made alive.


It seemed like I'd run out of second chances,
And they sentenced me to die.
And I was just like a dead man walking,
I was running out of time.
But You came to me and opened my eyes;
And You gave to me a brand new Life!


song lyrics by Third Day

1 Comments:

At 8/18/2005 3:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda, I love Third Day. I like the way you incorporated their song lyrics into your message. The message you gave was an encouragement and a challange. Thanks as always and God bless, Curtis.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home