Sunday, October 09, 2005

Today is the 25th Anniversary of my parents' Wedding.

And a ride it's been. Because I don't have their permission, I'm not sharing details. But I will share a tradition of theirs that I only just learned of this evening...

My mom and dad were eighteen and twenty-one when they married. My mom worked at Alexander's bagging groceries, and Dad sold parts at Chappel Tractor. They struggled to get by, to say the least. That was before my brother and I came along (though quickly did we come! haha).

October 10th - that first year later - arrived, and they certainly couldn't afford to buy each other gifts. Any spare earnings went into the house fund. But still Mom and Dad went into CVS and looked at the greeting cards. Silently side by side, they read the messages until each found the perfect one for the other. Standing in the aisle, they exchanged the cards that captured the expression of each of their hearts and read each other's sentiments. I imagine they would smile or laugh gently, perhaps nudge the other shoulder to shoulder. Dad would kiss mom's forehead and she'd tip her face up to kiss his lips. Happy Anniversary. And then they'd put the cards back on the rack and walk out of the store hand in hand.

So they did this afternoon (a day early) after church and brunch at their favorite restaurant. My dad wanted to go to church this morning. It's a cool testimony that I'll write about later. His first run-in with persecution - albeit in jest by his cousin and via telephone. :) But a neat conversation between he, my mom, and brother.

Goodnight, all. The Lord is good. He finishes what He begins without falter or delay. He protects His people and refines them. The learning is tough, quite often, but it is good. He is good.

2 Comments:

At 10/10/2005 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a nice tradition, certainly better than any gifts you could buy. My dad simply buys flowers for my mom on their anniversary, even though they can't afford the extra expense. My mom always gives him this mock exasperated look and they smile and laugh. It's great. Tell your parents happy anniversary from me. God bless.

 
At 10/10/2005 10:10 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

that's lovely...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home