Saturday, June 24, 2006

A moment's remembrance

My mom has seven brothers and two sisters, and most of them live in the area. Last night we gathered for a slideshow of Uncle Dennis' trip to Thailand a couple of months ago. Watching slides is a pretty major tradition in my family - they always happen in the summertime when the pool is open and we can sit out on the hot top and project the slides onto a king-sized sheet on the side of the garage. Mom brings the entree for dinner (lasagna and mac and cheese last night) and other aunts bring salad and fruit and drinks, etc.

If we don't sit outside, the show moves to the living room. It's not a big room by any means, and that's part of the tradition... bean bag chairs cover the floor; the couch lines one wall, a bench another, and two small stuffed chairs opposite the couch. The screen stands in front of the fireplace, and Grandpa stands on the stairs behind the projector. We began outside last night, but as the rain moved in, so did we.

My cousin Laura had her first baby three weeks ago, and was home with her. My aunt Sarah is five months along with her second and already showing a lot. We had a really neat moment in the kitchen as the slides had begun. All my uncles and younger cousins had left the house to watch, but Gram, Aunt Nancy, Mom, Sarah, Laura (holding Maggie), and I all stayed in the kitchen talking. Seven different stages of womanhood sharing stories and wisdom and questions... That conversation will be a favorite memory for me. And holding Maggie was just awesome. She's so tiny and beautiful and alive. To think I may be so gifted someday... oh, I hope I may.

1 Comments:

At 6/24/2006 3:25 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

a rare opportunity, indeed :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home