Wednesday, March 29, 2006

In His service, for His purposes, and to His praise

I have sat down to type this entry I don't know how many times; probably as many as I have sat down with a pen and my journal to record there... I leave Sunday night for Ankara, Turkey, and as oft I've tried to write about it, I've been unable. But I need you to pray for me - while I ready to go, and especially while I'm there - so this may read efforted, but it shall read nonetheless.

I have been reading Acts the past few weeks, and I think what is overwhelming me about this trip is the fact that I'm going to be treading the ground where my early brethren lived and died for Christ; where they were visited and ministered to in person by Paul, receiving his letters and living by them - the same letters that I read and live by.

Too, I don't know much of what to expect, so I suppose I'm avoiding speculation... I want to live the experience as God lays it out.

I fly out of Boston Sunday night, arriving at London Heathrow Monday morning. Then I'll spend the day and fly out for Ankara Monday night. I always enjoy flying and seeing who the Lord puts in my path to get to know. Air-travel relationships are interesting: You have at least two hours next to a person, and you're both either heading on an adventure or returning from one (even if it seems a mundane adventure), and most likely you'll never see each other again (at least in this life). I will have about six hours with this person. Then six hours in an airport where I may meet other people, and then four hours with another person on the way to Turkey. So please pray for travel mercies: not so much that we don't crash (because I really wouldn't mind going Home), but that I might connect with other travelers and glorify God in our interactions, whatever that entails.

When I arrive in Turkey, the family from my home church who now lives there will meet me and bring me to my dwellings. I will be staying with Tammy, 30, who has lived there for seven years and speaks fluent Turkish; and Liz, 25, who is Korean-American. I don't know how long she has been living there, or where Tammy is from originally. I do know that one of them is a kindergarten teacher, and the other a fourth grade teacher.

During the just-over-two-weeks of my stay, I will be helping Liz and Tammy in their classrooms and doing whatever else is useful. I really just want to get to know these women and their students, to love them as I'm able, and to see what God has been doing in this school I've been praying for. I wonder what God has to teach me; what He is bringing me half around the world to learn. I wonder what worshiping with my Turkish and missionary brethren will be like - they are part of the 2% "other" religious group in the country. 98% being Muslim, primarily Sunni. We will celebrate our Lord's death and resurrection together - I will be there for Easter.

Of other things of interest: I would like to learn some common Turkish phrases and whatever else of the language I can pick up; the cooking of Turkish meals to make back here in the States. Thank you, Mom, for letting me borrow your digital camera! I hope I come home with images to remember by - though some memories are always better left uncaptured. The Lundys are preparing to take me to a Mosque and to a Bazaar and to a museum, I'm not sure what kind.

I will have internet access while there, so you can be sure I will write, when time. At least I will keep my journal, and can always type what is penned when I return.

Pray I will be open to the Lord's teaching and leading, that I will listen and obey; pray we women may encourage and challenge each other as we live and serve together; pray I may come home with a renewed vigor for spreading the Good News and building up my brethren here and away; pray my local church may catch the vigor themselves in seeing God's work in Turkey; pray God may be GLORIFIED in me here and abroad, and that whatever most glorifies Him will come to pass. That is a prayer that will always be answered, "Yes." :)

In His service, for His purposes, and to His praise,
your sister and fellow pilgrim,
Amanda

5 Comments:

At 3/29/2006 11:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sister, be at peace. Know that you are already prayed for and will continue to be prayed for. This is an amazing opportunity that God has blessed you with and I know that you will do well in using it to His glory. Have a great time, sis. :)

 
At 3/31/2006 2:33 PM, Blogger Callmeteem said...

May the Living God bless, keep and protect. May His face shine upon you. May He fill you with His Spirit and may His grace shine through your acts of service and love.
May you be forever changed through what He teaches you.
May you rest in His grace always.

 
At 3/31/2006 11:31 PM, Blogger Charlie said...

May God magnify His glorious name by your efforts and your work! Just remember, the work, the battle, and the victory all belong to our God, who is so sovereign, so victorious, and so beautiful!

 
At 4/02/2006 1:42 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

Prayers for you and your sisters...

 
At 4/02/2006 4:23 PM, Blogger Amanda said...

Thank you all for your prayers and encouragement! I leave for the airport in forty minutes :D

 

Post a Comment

<< Home