Thursday, July 06, 2006

Beautiful One, my soul must sing

Today I left home seeking a peaceful place to study for tomorrow's final exams and ended up at the ocean. My favorite stretch of beach in NH is not sand at all, but rather a length of winding coastal rocks rising up to a banking where the mainland levels. Route 1-A follows the shoreline all the way up through to Maine; between the pavement of the road and the drop-off to the rocks is a grassy flatland with a walkway and wildflowers, and periodically a bench or stone arrangement or group of bushes... landscaped, but naturally so.

On one of these grassy areas I spread my blanket and then my books... and then myself. :) I never realized how similar the gull's cry is to the wolf's lone howl, or how the clouds can rise on the horizon-line and appear as ship's sails, coming home.

I had not realized how quiet the writer's voice in me has been of late;

how needed she
to be loosed and let free.

Beauty: therein lies such power for healing and renewal. A few simple hours of gazing upon the waters of my God... hearing His rhythm, feeling His breeze, seeing His artistry, even the scents of salt and grass and greenery... the warmth of His sun, and the relationships of His creatures... to be in the midst of His handiwork, in the presence of Himself, with His Word at my fingertips, and all simotaneously in the palm of His hand...

my soul found its resting place; my voice, its freedom.

4 Comments:

At 7/07/2006 2:25 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

I feel as though I could see everything as you described it (even though I've never been to the precise place), not merely in the introductory remarks but in the closing snatch of free-verse...


...and though it made me, in some small wistful part, long for the long-forgotten coasts of the New England of my earliest youth - more than this, it reminded me of the longing for Him that we share in Him.

 
At 7/07/2006 1:17 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

so true...hmm...you are prayed for, sister...

 
At 7/07/2006 11:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The ocean is one of my favorite reminders of God's handiwork...hmmm...I long to be led beside the still waters in His presence...you are in my prayers, sister...

 
At 7/08/2006 11:13 AM, Blogger Amanda said...

I am so thankful for my brothers... Thank you for your prayers.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home