Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Knowing and Loving a Triune God

"But the Helper, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name, He will teach you all things, and bring to your remembrance all things that I said to you." John 14:26

Today the Holy Spirit taught me who He is. Spirit, I have neglected You so much! Forgive me, and know how I love You! Just as equally as God and the Son. You are just as important. I would not learn from Christ if You did not tell me what He teaches. I would not change if You did not convict me. I would not know joy and peace if you did not assure me of my right standing with God. I feel like I've met a new Friend whom I knew all along, but didn't recognize.

"The Spirit-filled life is not a special, deluxe edition of Christianity. It is part and parcel of the total plan of God for His people." -A.W. Tozer

Romans 8:11 says,

"But if the Spirit of Him who raised Jesus from the dead dwells in you, He who raised Christ from the dead will also give life to your mortal bodies through His Spirit who dwells in you. "

The Spirit of GOD dwells in us. Christ died with the sin of all who would ever be saved upon Him, and God raised that body to pure, perfect, holy resurrection. It is the Spirit of that God who is within us. How much power, then, has He in us?! My flesh should not win the battle! Ever! And it wouldn't if I fully relied on the Spirit every moment. The Spirit would give life to my dead, corrupt flesh in every instance if I let Him.

What a revelation! And it's from You, Spirit! Such an interesting dynamic to begin to understand: how the Father, Son, AND Spirit work together. I've under-appreciated the latter until just today. I don't mean to emphasize the person and work of the Spirit in a way that detracts from that of Christ (as warned by James Montgomery Pierce), but rather to acknowledge and give thanks to God for this third person of Himself.

As I thank Jesus for His work, as He abided in the Father, so I thank the Holy Spirit, the Spirit of the Father. Spirit, thank You for interceding on my behalf, for praying for me when I know not what to pray. Thank You for being strength where I am weak; making me abound in hope; convicting me of sin; battling my flesh with fierceness and devotion. Thank You for freedom; for fullness of life; for joy, peace, love, goodness, faithfulness, patience, kindness, self-control. For Your part in making those grow continually. Thank You, Father, for Your Son and Your Spirit.
Amen.

The ministry of the Spirit in our lives:

Ezekiel 36:27
John 14:26, 16:13
Acts 1:8
Romans 5:5
Romans 8:26-27
Romans 15:13
1 Corinthians 12:4-7, 11
Galatians 5:22-23

2 Comments:

At 10/20/2005 2:10 PM, Blogger Callmeteem said...

May the Spirit continue to flow through you to touch many others.

 
At 10/21/2005 3:04 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

how excellent that the Spirit Himself works to show you Himself :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home