Thursday, October 20, 2005

If you plant seeds in a deli, what may God grow? Hint: it's not turkey.

This morning I met with Doreen for our weekly studying, accountability, prayer, chatting, discovery, encouragement, challenge... so on as it is with two sisters in love with Christ and striving to walk in holiness.

We spoke about sharing the gospel: why do we hesitate? Are we afraid to offend people? We agreed that we have the feeling that sharing OUR faith (which is so intolerated by a society that teaches "tolerance") is somehow infringing on the hearer's rights - that it's imposing. And we also agreed: so what! Why do we buy into this lie? Christ is Freedom and Life and Joy! Why should that be an imposition? We agreed that we fear rejection, and again decided: so what! Of course some people will be offended by the gospel and reject us for following Christ - but so what? If a person rejects the gospel, they are rejecting my Lord and are a child of Satan - why do I care if they love me?? And some people will not be offended; they will find True Love for the first time.

We prayed that we would gladly risk rejection that some might find acceptance in Christ.

Also spoken of: the Power of the Spirit that is within us - He is the Spirit of the Living, omnipotent GOD. There is such confidence in knowing this! Today began a new phase of the journey for me, walking in the fullness of the Spirit.

Tonight in the deli, I met Cindy. She is a new co-worker (George has moved on to working in construction making double his deli wages, and being provided with health insurance. He's working for a Christian man. Praise the Lord, and pray for George's salvation. Cindy is filling his hours). I thank God for being able to share with her a bit - it's amazing what He will do when I let the Spirit work and don't hinder Him with fear or self-reliance!

Cindy was baptized at 13 and attended church with her mom. She enjoyed youth group and church activities... but doesn't seem to have had a deep relationship with the Lord. Her husband is nominally Catholic, and she became Catholic to marry him, but she has never agreed with parts of the doctrine (confessing to a priest, for one, instead of to God). I was able to share a bit of my testimony - just that I wasn't raised with anything, but as a teenager the Lord completely turned my life around.

Our conversation had started out with New Year's Eve traditions (because I was talking about the Cailidh! yeah, Campbells! :) ) and she said how she and her husband weren't big partiers. Neither am I. Oh, but I WAS. As a teenager I drank quite a bit, but I became a Christian my junior year of high school, and my life changed drastically. Talked a bit about today's teen culture, and what so many get into.... I don't know where I would be if not for Christ - well, yes, I do, actually. Probably dead.

Yes, there's so much negative in that world. There's positive in church, she said.

There is.. I have a new hope in Christ that I never knew before.

And then a customer came, and our conversation ended.

Later in the evening, my manager brought up faith. Scott. He is a sweetheart of a man - witty and caring, though he puts on a front of coarseness and crassness with the older workers and some of our regulars. I enjoy Thursday nights because the staffing tends to be (thank You, Lord) Scott, Curtis, and myself. Tonight added Cindy, as she is in training. Surrounded by Christians, Scott loses his front, and we have a great time being "cleanly" silly. Tonight was the first time our conversation went deep. I mouthed to Curtis, washing dishes in Seafood, "pray." It is such an awesome privilege to have a team behind the counter. While one converses, the other can pray.

I'm not sure how it started. I think Scott and Cindy must have been talking about someone dying - jokingly. And then joking about the afterlife, and Scott said something about "You know about afterlife, Amanda. Can you vouch for it? Are you sure there's life after death?"

I know it with all my heart.

And thus began a conversation about the God of the Bible. Pray for Scott, as well. He said in the monotone way of one stating passionless facts, "I know God sent His Son to die on the cross for our sins..." But why is there so much evil and destruction if God is in control...

Scott's brother was a police officer and was killed on duty a few years ago. Why would God let that happen? I trust Him, but I wonder why? His wife and other siblings lost their faith when it happened.

It's hard to understand why God works the way He does sometimes. It seems when tragedy happens we either don't understand and turn our backs on God, or we trust that He is who the Bible says He is: that He is good, and while I don't understand how, I know He is working in the way that is best.... And Scott said, we'll know in heaven, though. His hope is in knowing that all the destruction and evil will end.

He knows pieces of the truth. And I know he sees a difference in Curtis and I because he changes around us. Pray that I could share more of the fullness of the gospel with Him, and answer his questions with Truth. Pray that His heart is open and tender to hear and accept these Truths. Pray God would make the seeds take root and flourish in his heart. Pray that he might know Joy and Love and Freedom ... Life in Christ.

Father, I know You are able. I pray You are willing. This deli belongs to You in my eyes, Lord. It is Your field to be harvested. Thank You for using me there - what a great privilege to be Your hands reaching, Your heart loving, Your ears listening, Your child testifying of Your grace.

I love You, God. I want my co-workers to love You. Give them saving grace, I pray, in the name of Your perfect Son. Amen.

1 Comments:

At 10/21/2005 3:03 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

this work is full of joy...continue boldly and courageously :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home