Monday, September 25, 2006

September closes...

Autumn is arriving in New Hampshire. Yesterday I rode up through the White Mountains area with a friend, and even with the gray skies, the view was beautiful. Trees up there are turning; probably will peak within the next couple of weeks. Down here a few have decided to put on their season's best, but most remain green. October is more the month of foliage for us southerners.

It has always been my favorite time of year, the Fall... sunny days when the air is crisp, but not chilling, and a sweater will suffice for warmth. Small gourds and picking apples... stuffing dried leaves into small clothes to make pumpkin girls and boys... raking huge piles off the lawn and watching my little cousins throw them up in the air and dive in the midst -- playing with them! ... bon fires on chilly nights ... baking apples and potatoes and corn... When I was younger, my birthday promised a gathering of family and playing hide and seek at dusk; lasagna and carrot cake with cream cheese frosting (Mom made my favorites).

Last autumn brought visits from two dear friends faraway. Yes, it does seem like much longer ago. As my birthday comes this time 'round, I indeed do feel a year older. Much has changed.

Here's to enjoying this moment's grace: I raise my glass of spiced cider...

2 Comments:

At 9/25/2006 10:40 AM, Blogger Matthew said...

A lovely reflection upon the turning of the season - a change, I believe, is particularly lovely in fair New England...

 
At 9/28/2006 3:45 PM, Blogger fisherofmen_matt_4_19 said...

even just a description of autumn tickles my senses...and they are not even that ticklish :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home